Wednesday, July 14, 2010

7. Frank Sinatra - Songs For Swingin' Lovers!



1. You Make Me Feel So Young

2. It Happened in Monterrey
3. You're Getting to Be a Habit with Me
4. You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me
5. Too Marvelous for Words
6. Old Devil Moon
7. Pennies from Heaven
8. Love Is Here to Stay
9. I've Got You Under My Skin
10. I Thought About You
11. We'll Be Together Again
12. Makin' Whoopee
13. Swingin' Down the Lane
14. Anything Goes
15. How About You?

Oh boy, our first repeating artist of the series! And we haven't even hit the ten album mark yet.

Before I actually review this album, I'd just like to note how much more hilarious the album title is nowadays than in 1956. Songs for swingin' lovers indeed.

This album is a lot closer to the general perception of Frank Sinatra than the mopefest that was 'In The Wee Small Hours'. Guess he found another hot actress to bang. Despite its less serious nature, it's not any worse of an album. It's more like the yin to that album's yang. Like Frank took a bunch of Prozac and this is what happened. A very easygoing album, with swing arrangements and big brass sections blasting in your ear like they're allowed to do that.

Once again, all of the songs are picked straight from the Great American Songbook. You might even recognize some of them! It's a nice way of showing that there were actually good pop songwriters before the Beatles, at least. I can't even imagine some of these songs as sung by anyone else but Frank, he really is a master interpreter of other people's material! The only complaint I have is the same issue I have with 'Wee Small Hours': The arrangements can get a bit repetitive, so the second half of the album tends to drag. As a result, I'm going to give this album the same backhanded praise, complete with high-but-not-too-high rating, that I've given every other album I've reviewed so far. You'd think I was a writer for Rolling Stone. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment