Friday, September 10, 2010

53. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (1965)


1. Acknowledgement
2. Resolution
3. Pursuance
4. Psalm

Whoa, it's been a while. There's been so many innovative rock albums lately that I almost forgot about jazz. It certainly hasn't been a slouch these last few years, that's for sure! This is probably the most accessible of the more avant garde jazz albums that have shown up so far on this list. It has plenty of melodic sense with a healthy dab of experimental sense so you'll go "By Jove! Music doesn't do that!" and adjust your derby hat.

I could talk to you about the magnificent innovations of this LP but to be honest I know bugger all about jazz music, which I'm sure has been painfully obvious to all those jazz experts who read my blog and scoff loudly at it. I do know that it was wildly successful, most likely because of the reasons I stated earlier. Has it really been a paragraph since then? My, how time flies.

Anyhow, I always feel a bit limited when writing these jazz reviews, since my lack of familiarity means it's that much harder for me to determine which is a true 'classic' or not, since more or less every jazz album I've heard so far is deemed a classic somewhere. I can say that the 'Trane's sax playing is very good and emotional, and that the drums are mixed really well, a nice crisp sound that really makes those extra fills and solos stand out. For the most part, however, I am at a loss. It's beautiful enough that I suppose one of those clove-smoking poets should be reviewing it instead of me. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment