Monday, August 16, 2010

30. Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (1961)

1. Gloria's Step (Take 2)
2. Gloria's Step (Take 3)
3. My Man's Gone Now
4. Solar
5. Alice In Wonderland (Take 2)
6. Alice In Wonderland (Take 1)
7. All Of You (Take 2)
8. All Of You (Take 3)
9. Jade Visions (Take 2)
10. Jade Visions (Take 1)


One of the more unfortunate things about this project is that I generally only have time to listen to an album once before reviewing it. It's not the worst thing in the world, sure, but every time I listen to a critically acclaimed masterpiece of jazz music, there's always that certain tinge of regret. Things like this and 'Kind of Blue' are meant to be listened to more than once, to allow you to pick apart the record and thus truly appreciate it. Since I wasn't exactly an expert on jazz before starting this blog, it can be kind of daunting getting all these jazz classics thrown at me.

This album works both as background music and something to be actively listened to. Bill Evans is certainly a skilled pianist and he lets you know it. However, though this album was credited to Evans, I found myself more drawn to the work of bassist Scott LaFaro. He actually takes quite a few solos here, something that I haven't heard from any other bassist yet. Innovation! It's enough to raise the quality of the album, because without his progressive bass performance this album would be two steps from very well performed elevator music. Unfortunately, he died 10 days after recording this.

1961 was not a great year for albums, this book would have me believe. Perhaps if I gave it 2 or 3 more listens this would start to click with me, but until then I'd rather listen to something that's able to command my attention for more than a couple minutes at a time. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment