Friday, August 13, 2010

28. Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack (1960)




1. Back At The Chicken Shack
2. When I Grow Too Old To Dream
3. Minor Chant
4. Messy Bessy
5. On The Sunny Side Of The Street


Even in the 1960s we cannot escape the allure of relaxing jazz music. In fact, this album was so relaxing that I occasionally forgot it was there! This album brings an element of soul into jazz, and it also brings in the Hammond organ! We're going to be hearing a lot of organs in this decade, they couldn't get enough of them back in the day.

Anyway, this album is...well, it's pleasant. There's not all that much to talk about, really. Other than the presence of a new instrument, there's nothing that makes this album a Big Deal for me. The solos are generally nice, but aside from one cool drum solo bit this album shuffles along at a laid back pace. I don't know what chicken shack he's supposed to be at, but it is one goddamned sophisticated chicken shack.

Anyhow, I'm really at a loss of words here. I can't hack it to pieces like Elvis, but it's not exactly setting my ears on fire either. Good background music for an art exhibition, perhaps. 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment