Sunday, August 15, 2010

29. Muddy Waters - At Newport (1960)




1. I Got My Brand on You
2. Hoochie Coochie Man
3. Baby Please Don't Go
4. Soon Forgotten
5. Tiger in Your Tank
6. I Feel So Good
7. I've Got My Mojo Working
8. I've Got My Mojo Working, Pt. 2
9. Goodbye Newport Blues

Due to the nature of this list, we're going to hear far more British white guys inspired by the blues than actual original blues performers. With that in mind, it's nice to have this live document showing the power of blues before all those white people with their fuzztone guitars and wild soloing got to it. It's not as loud and wild as they are, but it more than makes up for it in sheer swagger. The band is like a well-oiled machine, not putting too much emphasis on one performer, but delivering a nice solid slab of blues for Muddy Waters to work his mojo over. And it is quite some mojo. Although he starts off slow and steady with Willie Dixon's 'I Got My Brand on You' and then slowly picks up throughout the show until by the time we get to 'Tiger in Your Tank' the band are rocking out at quite a pace.

Muddy Waters himself (well, he wouldn't have got very far in the blues with a name like McKinley Morganfield, would he?) sings each song with the bravado necessary for any proper blues musician. The music here is far more sexual than anything else here so far. It's not something that has to be watered down for white radio listeners, and it is much better for it. He boasts that he'll have all the women under his command, and he certainly has the audience in the palm of his hand. They sound like they're having a great time, especially for a pre-Beatles live document. His mojo is definitely workin'. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment